Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Blog #2

Out of all the aspects we have recently examined, confirmation bias definitely affected my thoughts on critical thinking the most. Confirmation bias, also known as the tendency to interpret evidence based on confirmation of one’s existing beliefs or theories, actually plays a large role in society. The decisions that we make are often influenced by biases that we have already created. As we discussed in class, confirmation bias affects all people of any age all day long. It can be as simple as a mother believing her child did nothing wrong or a teacher treating a student unfairly after overhearing another teacher bash this particular student.

My thinking hero is Nelson Mandela. After learning about confirmation bias and how it influences our decisions, he might not be as much of a hero as I had once envisioned. Mandela was a South African activist and fought for rights, but the media could have played a large role in my previous thought processes. I assumed that he made of all his decisions himself and he always did the right thing to better the lives of others. This, however, I thought due to the idea of confirmation bias and previous thoughts that I had. The news, newspapers, articles and media as a whole portray Nelson Mandela as an exceptionally important man, so I based my opinion on thoughts that I heard and grew up on. Nelson Mandela himself was most likely affected by confirmation bias and it ended up altering his decisions. I believe he was good at constructing arguments because he was passionate and educated on his beliefs, although they might have been affected by confirmation bias as well. Confirmation bias significantly narrows down your thoughts and your ability to critical think. Like the Dunning Kruger affect for example, it is something hard to stop and consistently present in everyday life. 

5 comments:

  1. Alexa,
    I agree with your thought about how confirmation bias affects people of all ages. Ages from kindergartners to adults are quick to jump to conclusion due to a belief they have, and will go to great lengths to have the information confirmed by another source. After reading your blog it brought my attention to the fact that all the people we look up to may have been affected by confirmation bias and our views and ideas of them are confirmed by media and today's technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confirmation bias was also the topic that surprised me the most. It made me realize things i have never thought of before. Your blog also taught me a couple of new aspects of Nelson Mandela such as the fact that he was also affected by confirmation bias and changed his way of thinking because of that. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agreed that confirmation bias was one of the topics that surprised me and really affected my thinking hero. Reading your blog, I was really interested at how your opinions changed on Nelson Mandela. I never thought about how such a great figure in our history could have been portrayed to us in such a way to make him a great thinker when he himself was affected by what we talked about in class. It made me think about how the media affects us so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Confirmation bias is a very strong force that is prevalent in our lives. You presented an interesting prospective on Nelson Mandela, and how confirmation bias put a different spin on who was supposed to be a great thinker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confirmation bias is a very strong force that is prevalent in our lives. You presented an interesting prospective on Nelson Mandela, and how confirmation bias put a different spin on who was supposed to be a great thinker.

    ReplyDelete